Employee Resource Networks (ERNs)
An internal group for employees of shared characteristics or life experiences, an ERN provides opportunities to network, find mentors and receive support. Allies, supporters and all interested in helping advance the inclusion of others are also welcome to join.
Tammy Hunt, Patient Services
Out At Work: LGBT Employees on Working at Biogen
Biogen is committed to creating a truly inclusive workplace—a diverse mix of backgrounds and perspectives is part of who we are and how we work.Watch our Out at Work video
The AccessAbility network is the newest network for employees with disabilities, those who are caretakers of individuals with a disability, and their allies. The network’s mission is to foster a culture of awareness, advocacy and inclusion to empower employees with disabilities and care partners to bring their best selves to work in order to make the biggest impact for those we serve. This network focuses on disability awareness, creating timely resources for employees with a disability, as well as resources for employees who are caregivers.
Most recently, we have created two new chapters for employees with MS, or those who are care partners of individuals with MS, and for Alzheimer’s or dementia. These two new chapters provide resources for our employees who have or are caring for someone with MS or Alzheimer’s, and will also be leveraged to provide insights into our disease therapy areas.
This ERN focuses on multiculturalism, fostering awareness of and appreciation for different cultural backgrounds while promoting networking and development opportunities.
Our U.S. chapters have attracted both new immigrants and people who trace their American ancestry back generations. European chapters celebrate the remarkable diversity within a single worksite – some offices have employees hailing from dozens of nations.
Mosaic programming includes:
- Share Your Stories, a series of events designed to highlight individuals’ professional journeys through the lens of culture
- Monthly cultural social hours at our Cambridge, MA headquarters, and special cultural events at our Zug, Switzerland and Research Triangle Park, NC locations
Our network for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) employees, along with their straight allies, ReachOUT works to increase awareness and acceptance of the LGBTQ community within Biogen, supports a best-in-class working environment for LGBTQ employees and exemplifies our commitment to social responsibility and innovation.
Our company has a long history of supporting workplace equality. Within the US, our policies and actions include:
- Enhanced benefit programs to better support the health of our transgender employees
- Corporate sponsorship of the Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD), Human Right Campaign (HRC), Pride Boston and Pride Durham
- Support for the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in 2012. Biogen was one of the first businesses to call for an end to this discriminatory legislation.
- Support for the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), a federal bill that would prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- For the past four years, Biogen has been rated 100% on Corporate Equality Index, the U.S. benchmarking tool on corporate policies and practices pertinent to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning employees.
Biogen Veterans Network
Outreach to veterans, engagement and empowerment are the focus of this ERN. Veterans are already recognized as an important component of our diverse community. Heightened visibility and increased knowledge help colleagues understand the unique attributes and leadership capabilities that veterans offer and enhance veterans’ capabilities as well.
Biogen has been recognized as a military-friendly employer by Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, an office within the Department of Defense devoted to “cooperation and understanding between Reserve Component Service members and their civilian employers.”
Women's Innovation Network (WIN)
More than half of Biogen’s employees are women. We are committed to ensuring they are fully included, engaged and valued at all levels of our company. In addition to creating networking, mentoring and learning opportunities, WIN helps us increase representation of women in senior leadership positions.
WIN has 1,200+ members -- both women and men -- in chapters at all our major Biogen offices worldwide.
- Career and networking events that build capacity for women’s leadership
- Inspirational events that celebrate women’s innovation and success
- Leadership conferences held globally
- Partnerships with women's professional organizations relevant to our industry